JUNE 2018 BOARD BRIEF
STEEL VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
The School Board acknowledged the passing of Thomas G. Scheetz, father-in-law of Edward Wehrer, Superintendent of Schools; Paul P. Rojtas, father-in-law of Dr. Mary Cay Rojtas-Milliner, secondary librarian, father of Steve Rojtas, former School Board member and grandfather of Daniel Rojtas, current School Board member; Francis W. Sullivan, father-in-law of Sara Sullivan, middle school teacher; Anthony J. Martinez, former substitute custodian; William R. O’Toole, husband of Eileen O’Toole, retired kindergarten teacher and father of Keith O’Toole, former School Board member; Antwon Rose II, nephew of Dale Chapman, varsity boys basketball head coach; Jazmere B. Custis, 2017 Steel Valley Graduate; and Hydiyyah Goudelock, retired paraprofessional at Franklin Primary Center. It was moved by Mrs. Steele and seconded by Mrs. Ligeros to place a selection of appropriate books into the school libraries in their memory.
Board President’s Report
Mr. Bulger stated that after reading the names of Steel Valley Family members who have passed, it is never easy to know that someone is mourning the loss of a family member, and especially when one is a recent graduate and is a beloved student of the school district.
He announced that commencement for the Class of 2018 was celebrated by 125 graduates; 45% graduated with honors. A special thanks to Mrs. Toni Besh, faculty members, staff and Mr. Keesecker for a beautiful graduation. He added a special thanks to Dr. Arrington for her remarks. Mr. Bulger added that Dr. Arrington was his college math professor at the University of Pittsburgh.
He announced the Board would be passing the 2018-2019 general fund budget, which includes $4.7 million for students who do not attend our schools. Unfortunately based on that amount, we could hire teachers or fund a new building with that money. He noted that he and other Board members have been to Harrisburg on four occasions lobbying for the school district.
Mr. Wehrer recognized the Varsity Boys Volleyball team and thanked Coach Gary Goga for his leadership. Mr. Goga praised Rich Nguyen for being a great leader on the court and in the high school. Both Rich Nguyen and Jay Kreczmer received 2nd team All Section status.
Mr. Wehrer remarked that the recent deaths have hit the Steel Valley Family hard, and everyone is saddened by these losses. He added that it is concerning and saddening to see violence in our community, but he maintains that our schools are a safe environment in the community.
At the beginning of the school year, there will be a day of school safety training at the elementary schools, and the secondary schools will undergo the training in the fall. Two of our administrators have completed ALICE training. We continue to make safety a priority.
Director of Pupil Personnel and Special Services Report
Mrs. Borges announced that the school district will offer grief counseling by licensed professional counselors from Steel Valley Wellness on Monday at Barrett Elementary School from 1:00-2:00 p.m. and 2:15-3:30 p.m. at the Senior High School for anyone who feels the need to talk.
Mrs. Borges announced Kindergarten registration will take place at Barrett Elementary School on July 17 and 18 between 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Registration will be conducted again on August 13 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Barrett School. Mrs. Borges added that Steel Valley has a wonderful Kindergarten program including a full day of instruction with a hands-on approach to learning.
The Board approved the following meeting minutes:
- May 17, 2018 special meeting
- May 21, 2018 worksession
- May 24, 2018 regular meeting
The Board approved the following financial items:
- General Fund invoices for June 2018 in the amount of $551,392.61
- General Fund hand checks for May 2018 in the amount of $518,979.43
- General Fund Revenue Report for May 2018
- General Fund Expenditure Report for May 2018
- General Fund Balance Sheet for May 2018
- Food Service invoices in the amount of $37,153.56
- Food Service Revenue Report for May 2018
- Food Service Expenditure Report for May 2018
- Food Service Balance Sheet for May 2018
- Payroll Funding Transfers for May 2018
- High School Student Activities Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for May 2018
- Middle School Activities Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for May 2018
- Athletics Fund Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for May 2018
- External Groups Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for May 2018
- Capital Projects Revenue Report for May 2018
- Capital Projects Expenditure Report for May 2018
- Capital Projects Balance Sheet for May 2018
- Final General Fund Budget for 2018-2019 with a millage rate of 23.489, an increase of .728 mill. The General Fund Revenues are projected at $36,806,080 and the Expenditures are projected to be
- $37,046,525. The deficit of $240,445 will be absorbed by the General Fund’s Fund Balance.
- Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion as presented in the amount of $247.95
The Board approved the following:
- Accepted, with regret, the resignation of Dr. Lisa Duval from the position of High School Principal effective June 29, 2018
- Appointed Ms. Angela Schifino as a Special Education Teacher for the 2018 Extended School Year program at a rate of $32.00 per hour, and appointed Ms. Lynan Cochrane as a special education paraeducator for the Extended School Year program at her hourly rate
- Appointed Mrs. Tayler Hammell-Rojtas to a full-time permanent teaching position with a 2018-2019 assignment of Middle School Social Studies Teacher at a salary of Bachelor’s Step 3 ($47,130) plus benefits as outlined in the current SVEA collective bargaining agreement effective with the start of the 2018-2019 school term, contingent upon passing all pre-employment screenings, receipt of current clearances and compliance with Act 168
Created two permanent teaching positions with assignments of Special Education Teacher in the Middle School/High School and Special Education Teacher in the Franklin Center for the 2018-2019 school year
Granted tenure to Jillian Braszo and Tracy Findlay and authorized the Board President and Board Secretary to execute the Professional Employee Contracts as presented
Retroactive compensation and step placement as presented for listed employees for years 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018. Total compensation and benefits tally $1,307,615.95
Hired Danielle Mays as a summer substitute custodian to be paid at the rate of $9.00 per hour effective immediately
Hired Jennifer Ford as a substitute custodian at the approved daily rate, contingent upon passing pre-employment screenings and compliance with Act 168
Shane Yuhas as a volunteer for football for the 2018-2019 school year, contingent upon receipt of current clearances
Created three (3) supplemental positions of Elementary Associate Webmaster, Secondary Associate Webmaster and Social Media Webmaster at a stipend of $1,500.00 each to be funded from the District’s Public Relations Grant beginning with the 2018-19 school yearJob descriptions for Elementary Associate Webmaster, Secondary Associate Webmaster and Social Media Webmaster
The School Board adopted a resolution incurring non-electoral debt by the issuance of a General Obligation Note in an aggregate principal amount not to exceed $1,750,000 at the special meeting held on June 14, 2018.