April 2018 BOARD BRIEF
STEEL VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
The School Board acknowledged the passing of Dora Lee Evans, wife of former Board member William Evans 1971-1979; John McCarthy, uncle of Beth Cannon, former School Board President, and Lynan Cochrane, Middle School paraprofessional; Charles Burke, stepfather of Nick Seech; James Ferguson, uncle of Nick Seech, High School Social Studies teacher; Nathan Jones, 2007 Steel Valley Graduate; Robert E. Walsh, brother of Kevin Walsh, Barrett Principal; Daniel Ikach, uncle of Clay Karadus, Middle School teacher; David Allan, uncle of Therese Safko, Middle School paraprofessional and Barbara J. Stupar, mother of Melinda Fedoris, behavior specialist at Barrett Elementary School. It wasmoved by Mr. Olson and seconded by Mrs. Yuhas to place a selection of appropriate books into the school libraries in their memory.
Board President’s Report
Mr. Bulger announced that he attended the My Special Person and Me dance at Park School. He added that it is wonderful what the parent groups do for our students. Barrett Elementary School is having a similar dance. The Middle School parents assist the students with fundraising for the 8thgrade trip to Washington, D.C. At the high school, seniors have been on several trips this year, and fundraising is available to help defray the cost of the prom tickets.
The District is hosting the annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner next week for the many parents and community members who volunteer in our schools. He hopes that the volunteers will come to the dinner and be recognized for their outstanding work. He thanked the volunteers for what they do to make this a great place for our students and by putting our students first. He added that he is proud to be part of this community.
Student Representative’s Report
Ms. Isabella Furrick reported the 3rdand 4th grade students at Park Elementary School did their best and worked really hard on the PSSAs. Park School will be holding a kindergarten registration event on April 30 from 5:00-7:00 p.m. The students are looking forward to a variety of fun events and activities in May.
At Barrett Elementary School, the staff and students celebrated Autism Day on April 3 by wearing blue. The PSSA testing went very well for 3rd and 4th graders taking the ELA and Math assessments. Kindergarten registration began this month. The Special Person and Me dance will take place on April 20.
Take Your Child To Work Day is on April 26. The Cash Bash held on March 10 was very successful, and everyone is looking forward to doing it again next year.
Ms. Furrick reportedSteel Valley SADD brought in comedian Craig Tornquist who treated the 5th and 6th graders to an assembly on Tuesday. His message was about finding your talent and being confident in yourself. He also talked to students about the importance of being kind and encouraging each other.
Twenty-one of the high school SADD students attended the 15th Annual Fatal Awareness Conference in Ross Township today. The keynote speaker discussed the importance of making good life choices and looking in the mirror each day and being happy with whom you are. The students also heard from two teens that have overcome addictions and turned their lives in the right direction.
Keystone exams for students in grades 9 through 11 are scheduled for May 22-24 and senior final exams for most core subjects will take place on those days. The prom is scheduled for May 18th.
At the middle school, students in eighth grade will be completing the Science PSSA assessment on April 24-25. Parent alerts are sent home every Sunday evening at 6:00 p.m. to inform parents of weekly events.
Mr. Wehrer announced the annual Volunteer Recognition Dinner would be held on Wednesday, April 25, in the high school cafeteria. Over 200 people have been invited to be recognized for their assistance in the classrooms; chaperoning field trips, dances and class trips; raising money for the students and programs; tutoring, mentoring and coaching; participating in the after school programs; and working behind the scenes for the musical, senior breakfast, prom and semi-formal. We would not be a caring and complete school district without the efforts of our volunteers.
This is a special time of year for ceremonies and recognitions. Another outstanding event is the Dr. Griffin Senior Honors Award Banquet next month. Dr. Stephen Vinay III, a Steel Valley valedictorian, will be the guest speaker. We will be awarding scholarships and recognizing the achievements of our academic students.
The Transforming Twelfth project has been waiting for two properties to be demolished next to Barrett Elementary School. The Steel Rivers Council of Governments opened bids for the demolition, and Homestead Borough awarded the contract to DJ Demolition Company. Mr. Wehrer asked the Borough to target June 13 for the start of the demolition project.
Director of Pupil Personnel and Special Services Report
Mrs. Borges announced that the next Education Leadership Committee meeting would be held Tuesday, April 24, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Creating Value Design Studio located in the high school.
April 30 would be an inservice day for staff, and there would be no school for students.
Director of Academics, Information and Technology Report
Mr. Colebank thanked the counselors and Mrs. McCallister for their outstanding efforts in coordinating the PSSA tests. Principals were asked to be sure students are not removing the protective cases from their iPads. A review of the new website is available the next three Wednesdays at 2:50 p.m. or you can make arrangements for a preview.
The Board approved the following items:
- Settlement and Release agreements between the Steel Valley School District and the Steel Valley Education Association and Former Employee No. 446 in regards to the pending appeal in Commonwealth Court on the Middle School Dean of Students’ position, and authorized the proper officers of the School District to affix their signature to the Agreement on behalf of the School District
- Payment of severance pay to Former Employee No. 446 in the amount of $8,000.00 as set forth in the afore referenced Release Agreement
- Authorized the Solicitor to join with PSEA to file a petition to discontinue the aforesaid appeal currently pending in Commonwealth Court, docketed at No. 1042 CD 2017
- Settlement Agreement regarding Civil Action 2:17-cv-00577
The Board approved the following meeting minutes:
- March 19, 2018 worksession
- March 22, 2018 regular meeting
The Board approved the following financial items:
- General Fund invoices for April 2018 in the amount of $412,351.97
- General Fund hand checks for March 2018 in the amount of $1,416,220.57
- General Fund Revenue Report for March 2018
- General Fund Expenditure Report for March 2018
- General Fund Balance Sheet for March 2018
- Food Service invoices in the amount of $51,794.85
- Food Service Revenue Report for March 2018
- Food Service Expenditure Report for March 2018
- Food Service Balance Sheet for March 2018
- Payroll Funding Transfers for March 2018
- High School Student Activities Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for March 2018
- Middle School Activities Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for March 2018
- Athletics Fund Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for March 2018
- External Groups Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for March 2018
- Capital Projects Revenue Report for March 2018
- Capital Projects Expenditure Report for March 2018
- Capital Projects Balance Sheet for March 2018
- Adopted the resolution to fill a vacancy in the Office of Tax Collector for the Steel Valley School District for the Borough of Homestead Exonerated the Munhall Real Estate Tax Collector for the 2017 real estate taxes
Mr. Bulger thanked Munhall Real Estate Tax Collector Donna Mercuri for her dedication and professionalism to the school district.
The Board approved the facility rental requests as presented.
The Board approved the fundraising requests as presented.
The Board held a first reading on the following policies:
- Section 900 of the Steel Valley Board Policy Manual
- Revisions to Policy 251 Homeless Students
- Policy 249 Bullying/Cyberbullying
- Revisions to Policy 123 Interscholastic Athletics
The Board voted for Judith E. Andzelik to a School Board Trustee position for the Southeastern Region of the Allegheny County Schools Health Insurance Consortium for a two-year period effective April 30, 2018.
The Board approved the following items:
- Accepted a $10,920.00 grant from The Pittsburgh Foundation to support the creation of The Forge maker space in the Middle School
- Accepted 16 office desk chairs from Mr. Regis Caldwell
- Accepted the donations of an electric pencil sharpener, pencils, Sharpie marker sets, transfer paper, Crayola classic markers, and Crayola pencils from DonorsChoose.org for the “Drawing in the Makerspace” classroom project submitted by Natalie Czerwinski, Middle School art teacher
- Accepted the donations of tables, chairs, whiteboard, desks, bookshelf, and credenzas from PNC Bank for the Senior High School
- Adelphoi Education Services Agreement
- 2018-2019 Academic Handbook for the Middle School
- Elementary Summer Program beginning the week of June 19 and ending the week of July 12, 2018
The Board thanked the donors and staff members who worked on the application for the $10,920 grant. Staff members are going above and beyond to bring The Forge to fruition. It will be a nice addition to our district.
The Board approved the following:
- Darrell L. Burroughs as a day-to-day substitute teacher for the 2017-2018 school year at the approved daily rate, contingent upon compliance with Act 168 of 2014 and passing physical and drug screening tests
- Leave of absence for Deborah Lyles retroactive to January 9, 2018, until the start of the 2018-2019 school year
- Termination of Employee No. 980 due to noncompliance with contract guidelines that must be followed when on a leave of absence
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Steel Valley School District and the Steel Valley Education Association for a retirement incentive dated April 19, 2018
- Memorandum of Understanding for a retirement incentive for the Steel Valley Secretarial/Aide Education Support Professionals dated April 19, 2018
- Memorandum of Understanding for a retirement incentive for the Steel Valley Custodial/Food Service Educational Support Professionals dated April 19, 2018
- Job description for the position of Middle School Dean of Students